Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Quit Flogging A Dead Horse (Or In My Case, A Big Chocolate Lab)

Ever tried a key in a lock and found it wouldn't open? What did you do? Did you continue to force the key, twisting and turning, praying the planets would align and the lock would magically open? Chances are you tried a bunch of different keys until you found the one that worked, am I right? This is called Behavioral Flexibility - an essential component of success. If at first you don't get the outcome you want, try a different strategy. Explore all your options, varying your behavior, until you eventually achieve the outcome that you seek. Here's an example of how behavioral flexibility helped me today with my neighbor's dog:

I like to take a brisk walk at least once a day for about 30 minutes. To keep me disciplined I walk my neighbor's dog 'Bubba'. (I have cats. I tried walking them once. They weren't amused) Bubba is a big, solid, heavy, chocolate lab. He doesn't have the most sophisticated walking etiquette. Walking Bubba can be compared to walking a runaway Hummer stuck in third gear. He gets very excited and likes to speed ahead, dragging me along behind him.

This morning, while Bubba was dragging me around the neighborhood, tearing my right arm from its socket, I came to the realization that my strategy for slowing Bubba down simply wasn't working. Saying "slow down Bubba" was not proving to be the most effective strategy. I needed to try a different approach.

At first I tried yanking on Bubba's leash each time he bolted forward. That didn't work. I then tried imagining I was a tree and neutralizing my energy like the Dog Whisperer suggests - that didn't work either. Next I tried whistling - nothing. So I tried negotiating, "Bubba if you don't slow down I'll take you home." Bubba just looked at me and blinked. Finally I decided to shorten Bubba's leash and pull him in to walk beside me where I had more control over his movement and could gently yank on his leash the moment he showed any sign of rushing ahead. Finally success! This strategy worked! Hurrah! I'd found the secret to slowing Bubba down!

If At First You Don't Succeed, Try and Try Again.

To succeed in life you must be open to modifying your behavior and exploring different options. If at first you don't succeed, try and try again. Explore alternative pathways, test out different strategies, employ a new approach. Don't get disheartened when at first you don't succeed. Realize that failures are actually small successes. Continue to persevere until you achieve the result that you desire.

As Albert Einstein once said, the definition of insanity is continuing to do the same things over and over again and expect a different result."

Have a great week!

Michelle ~

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home